Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Buried Treasure

[Original 1988 Issue: still cool, still cowabunga]
Written by GL

I had just finished having dinner this evening and decided to go around Serusop window-shopping and enjoying the cool, wet evening. Of course, being the fanatics that Kal-el and I are, I decided to go on a hunt first.

Hunting is an up and down thing - sometimes you discover something totally and utterly awesome. At other times, it just seems like the same old stock over and over and over. This evening, however, I was totally not prepared for what I found.

Believe it or not (and I'm pretty sure you won't believe it), I found, in a small little innocent junk shop, original 1988 released, Playmate labeled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toys - that's the very first wave ever of the TMNT. On top of that, after much digging in through the store's shelves, I manage to uncover Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Raphael and a Foot Soldier. I am dead serious!

And to add a cherry on to that sundae, each was going for a totally insane $6.20. Unbelievable!

Of course, they aren't in mint condition and the corners of the packaging are near gone from wear and tear, but they're the exact same toys from yesteryear. I was only eight years old when these came out!

I won't tell you the exact name of the store because we here at Classic Articulation and The House Of El are against cheap name-dropping and under-table marketing so I'll, instead, drop one easy hint. Highlight the following text: There's a HSBC ATM in Serusop; just walk to shop-house stores down from there. Sorry that I don't have any pictures to show you guys, but I had to blog this to all right this moment. Happy hunting, true believers.