Thursday, December 20, 2007

Speed Tease

[Speed Racer: it's a helmet]
Written by GL

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I was always more of an Astro Boy fan than a Speed Racer one. I never really caught on to the whole racing-adventure genre, and preferred to stick with robots and superheroes. But, if you want a retro Japanese cartoon, Speed Racer is it. And, if you didn't already know, they're making it into a live action American movie.

Have a look at the awesome looking teaser poster above.

The movie is set for a release early next year, and is another endeavor of the Wachowski brothers - directors of The Matrix Series and V For Vendetta. The movie will star Emille Hirsch, who you may remember from The Girl Next Door, as the main fella, Speed, as well as Christina Ricci as Speed's girlfriend.

It's a totally 1960s retro Japanese cartoon that Hollywood has decided to make a movie out of, and I hope it isn't a half-hearted attempt. Although I wasn't much of a fan, I know that others out there are, and are totally looking forward to the release of this. Let's hope for the best.

Speed Racer is set for a May 9 release.